Volunteer at the Toucan Rescue Ranch
Learn about Volunteer's Experiences
Get involved by volunteering at The Toucan Rescue Ranch! Contributing as a volunteer, you are provided a unique experience, gaining an in depth understanding about our mission. As a volunteer, you can assist in the daily activities of running the Toucan Rescue Ranch, or you may offer your particular skills to focus on specific projects.
- Feed the wildlife
- Cleaning enclosures
- Enclosure enrichment
- Help with yard maintenance
- Office work
- Start a project
Depending on the volunteer’s background and personality, they may be asked if they would like to help with other responsibilities. Activities are optional. Volunteers are observed on how a they handle themselves around wildlife to determine further responsibility.
- Feed sloths
- Clean bird enclosures
- Become a tour guide
Activities dealing with wildlife require that they wear a protective hat as well as protective goggles. Let us know if you can offer a special skill in your volunteer application.
When working with animals it’s important to understand the risks you take. The Toucan Rescue Ranch insures both the volunteer’s safety as well as the wildlife. Please provide allergy or other medicines needed. Also, to ensure we can provide medical care we require proof of medical insurance as well as a current tetanus shot.
- 18 years of age or older
- One month time commitment
- Basic Spanish
- Tetanus shot
(Preference is given to volunteers with animal related education/training or experience.)
- 18 years of age
- Tetanus shot
- One day per week time commitment
- Standard schedule is five days a week from 7:30 a.m. – 3 p.m.
- Two days off a week.
- Weekends do not include Saturday and Sunday due to it being our busiest times
- Volunteer fee: $50 per week
Housing is not provided at the Toucan Rescue Ranch, however, we do provide housing listed below (prices may vary):
- Option 1: Homestays with local families. Normally including a bedroom, bathroom, three meals per day. Cost is $500-$700 per month. Most provide laundry service or access to laundry facilities, WiFi. Walking distance to the Ranch or a local bus is available.
- Option 2: Rent a volunteer apartment from a North American couple and prepare your own meals. The apartment has one bedroom, one bathroom, small living room area, and kitchenette. Cost is $125 per week. Access to laundry facilities and WiFi. Walking distance to the Ranch.
If you’d like to be a volunteer, please complete the following Volunteer Application. We will contact you to schedule a Skype interview with Carol, our Volunteer Coordinator.