Quick Volunteering Details
What Volunteers Do:
- Food preparations: chopping fruit and vegetables, cutting fish, preparing carnivorous diets
- Feeding: collecting and washing animal dishes, distributing food and refilling water
- Cleaning enclosures and kennels
- General maintenance such as cleaning the kitchen and sweeping the driveway
Depending on the volunteer’s background and personality, they may be asked if they would like to help with other tasks. All volunteers are observed on how well they handle themselves around wildlife to determine further responsibility.
- Be able to commit at least 4-weeks to volunteering. A longer duration is preferred.
- Must be 18-years or older
- Have a current tetanus and rabies vaccination
- International emergency medical insurance while volunteering
Volunteer donation: $50-per week (donation waived for local volunteers and for individuals staying 3-months or more)
- Standard schedule is 5-days a week from 7:00 a.m. – 3 p.m.
- Two days off per week - not necessarily weekends or holidays
- Deep clean enclosures with the guidance of an intern
- Help provide enrichment for the rescued residence
- Contribute to our Education Program
- Help administration with data entry
- Assist volunteer coordinators with volunteer activities and events
- Become a tour guide
Activities dealing with wildlife require that volunteers to wear protective gear. If you can offer a special skill please include in the Volunteer Application.
When working with animals it’s important to understand all risks. The Toucan Rescue Ranch ensures both the volunteer’s safety as well as its rescued wildlife. Please provide allergy or other medicines needed in your application. For your safety you are required to provide proof of international medical insurance and/or medical travelers insurance as well as a current tetanus shot (within the last 10-years) and rabies vaccination.
Housing is not provided for 1-month volunteers, however, we do provide the housing listed below (prices may vary):
- Option 1: Homestays with local families. Includes a bedroom, bathroom, three meals per day, access to laundry facilities, Wi-Fi. Shared common areas with the host family. Fee is $25-per day. All locations are walking distance to TRR or to a local bus stop.
- Option 2: Rent a volunteer apartment from a North American couple and prepare your own meals. The apartment has one bedroom, one bathroom, small living room area and kitchenette. Cost is $21-per day. Access to laundry facilities and Wi-Fi. Walking distance to the Ranch or to a local bus stop.
If you’d like to be a volunteer, please complete the downloadable WORD document. If you have any questions regarding the application process you can email firstname.lastname@example.org. Once fully completed, please email as an attachment to email@example.com. We will reply to your application within 1-week.
If you are looking for an accredited internship opportunity please visit our Internship page.