Become an Intern
Get involved by volunteering at The Toucan Rescue Ranch! By contributing as a Volunteer, you are provided a unique experience, gaining an in-depth understanding of our mission and the animals we serve. As a volunteer, you will assist in the daily activities of running the Toucan Rescue Ranch and may offer your particular skills to focus on specific projects.
Caring for our residents is of paramount importance. Our staff, volunteers and interns begin each day by ensuring our animals are fed and cared for. Depending on the internship you’re applying for, you will be responsible for various tasks and activities.
For our internships you will receive a greater experience with potential direct animal contact and care, our staff will work with interns to determine appropriate curriculum and activities to meet specific educational needs and interests while leveraging their existing animal care experience.
Click to review our available internship positions:
Our interns must be 18 years of age or older, provide proof of health insurance and current tetanus vaccination and have basic Spanish skills.
Depending on the type of internship you choose you will be required to work for a 3-month minimum or 6-month minimum commitment, a longer time commitment is preferred. You must have education, training or experience working with animals.
Internships are voluntary self-funded positions. You will be responsible for all travel expenses/flights and immigration expenses. To better understand what your internship includes please review each internship description.
Local interns are greatly appreciated and requires similar age and vaccination prerequisites. We ask for you to still follow the necessary requirements of an international volunteer.
Toucan Rescue Ranch does not provide volunteer housing but, if requested, can assist our Volunteers in securing appropriate housing in the nearby neighborhood. Options may include:
- Homestays with local families. Lodging typically includes a bedroom, bathroom and three meals per day. Cost ranges from $600-$800 a month. Most provide laundry access and WiFi. Many options are walking distance to the Ranch or a local bus is available.
- A volunteer apartment with a North American couple. The apartment has a bedroom, bathroom, small living room area and kitchenette allowing preparation of meals. Access to laundry facilities and WiFi is included at a cost is $125 per week. The unit is walking distance to the Ranch.
- Staying with fellow interns and volunteers at TRR volunteer housing. Housing includes a bedroom (private/shared), bathroom and a full kitchen. Costs is roughly $800. Laundry access and WiFi. 5-minute walk from the Ranch.
Regardless of your role, we are committed to providing a rich volunteer opportunity that utilizes your unique skills to help Toucan Rescue Ranch achieve its mission of rescuing, rehabilitating and hopefully, releasing wildlife back to its natural habitat. Your health and safety are of utmost concern to us during your volunteer assignment. While working with animals, it’s important to understand and minimize the risks you take to ensure your own safety and that of our wildlife. We’ll work to provide our Volunteers with appropriate training and protective gear throughout their stay.
If you would like to be a part of the TRR team, please complete our Internship Application Process by sending the following documents to email@example.com
- One-page cover letter of interest
- CV or resume
- 3-5-minute video explaining why you feel you’re the right candidate for the position (MOV file)
- Contact information for three professional references
We will promptly contact you to schedule a Skype interview after reviewing your application. If you have any questions we are always available via email to answer any questions.