In 2019, we launched our first-ever Call for Artists campaign created by marketing intern Josephine Repschläger, with the aim to raise money to purchase new medical equipment for our HQ clinic. We called upon artists from all over the world of all ages to create a piece reflecting the 2019 theme of Wildlife and Conservation. With an amazing 41 artists who participated and over 60 generous donors from all over the world, we raised $8,839 for new medical equipment, overreaching our goal by $6,272! This great success enabled us to provide our vets and the animals they care for with an anesthesia machine, operation lamp, IV stand, and autoclave, drastically changing the efficiency and quality of our medical operations.
As the time of the year approaches for our second annual Call for Artists campaign, life is very different. The Toucan Rescue Ranch is in solidarity with the rest of the world adjusts to life’s new “normal”. On March 18, Toucan Rescue Ranch followed suit with the rest of the country and decided to close its doors to the public until borders reopen. As Costa Rica takes these necessary precautions to ensure public safety, many rescue centers, tour agencies, restaurants, and small businesses are hurting as Costa Rica has lost its most lucrative industry: tourism.
However, the rescuing must go on!
We have certainly been among those that are experiencing a loss, having 50% less overall income, forcing employee cuts, and putting a halt to certain programs altogether. Our main source of income is from our educational walks from both national and international visitors. With these being impossible to carry out during this time, as well as losing the ability to accept new international volunteers and interns to care for our animals, we are having to make major cuts to keep the lights on and the water running.
Amid this change, we need your help to continue to feed for the dozens of sloths, toucans, macaws, parrots, owls, cats, and other mammals in our care. The money we normally raise through our educational walks directly benefits our wildlife clinic where we treat, rehabilitate, and release dozens of animals. It helps us feed and care for the animals who are provided sanctuary at Toucan Rescue Ranch and allows us to continue with our educational, release, and reforestation programs. Our primary goal is to keep the animals in our care from feeling the effects of this situation – we are continuing to provide premier medical treatment, nutritious diets, and frequent enrichment.
With all of this craziness, we are excited to announce the second annual Call for Artists campaign starting on May 1, 2020. We believe right now is a wonderful opportunity to come together, create, and show some love back to the planet, where you can participate right from the comfort of your bedroom, house, apartment, cabin, bungalow, or wherever else you might be self-quarantining! This year’s goal will be a $7,000 RELIEF FUND, which will help us maintain our daily animal-care operations despite this financial hardship. The money raised from this campaign will help us with our mission to rescue, rehabilitate, and release Costa Rican wildlife.
Call for Artists Contest 2020 Quick Facts:
- This year’s theme is “YOUR WISH FOR WILDLIFE.” Your artwork must follow this theme (however you interpret it).
- You can use any medium you desire (besides photography).
- All ages are welcome to participate, but if you are a minor, a parent must submit your artwork with all the necessary information.
- You may only submit ONE (1) piece of artwork.
- The submission period ends May 15 at 11:59 pm Costa Rica Time.
- Donors can vote for your artwork by making a donation in your name on the TRR Call for Artists 2020 MightyCause campaign page.
- The voting period ends May 30 at 8:00 pm Costa Rica Time.
- The artists with the most VOTES (donations) toward their artwork at the end of the submission period wins!
The crowdfunding campaign will run from May 1 – May 30. The winning piece of artwork will be featured on a 2-week Custom Ink T-Shirt Fundraiser!
How to Submit your Artwork for Charity:
- Submit your artwork to [email protected]
- What to include with your submission:
- Name of Artist
- Age of Artist
- Your Location
- Title of Artwork
- Medium Used (oils, acrylics, colored pencil, clay, etc.)
- Your Social Media Handle(s)
- The Inspiration Behind Your Submission
- What to include with your submission:
- TRR will post submissions on our Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter.
Once posted, we will encourage people to VOTE (donate toward) their favorite submission.
- The artwork with the most VOTES (donations) wins and will be used on our next CustomInk T-Shirt fundraising campaign.
Whether you are a 25-year-old graphic designer, or a 70-year-old sketch artist, or a 5-year-old finger painter, if you want to help make a difference for Costa Rican wildlife, you are perfect for Call for Artists 2020! We can’t wait to see what creations you come up with this year!
For more information about the campaign including how to vote for a piece of artwork, please visit the Call for Artist campaign page.
Post a comment