Become an Intern
By clicking the descriptions below you'll be able to better understand which internship is best for you!
Learn with the Toucan Rescue Ranch!
Get involved by becoming an intern at The Toucan Rescue Ranch! By contributing as an intern, you are provided a unique experience, gaining an in-depth understanding of our mission and the animals we serve. Depending on which internship you apply for you will be working in the clinic, assisting our veterinarian, providing husbandry for rescued sloths, involved with the release and tracking of released wildlife and so forth.
Our interns must be 18 years of age or older, provide proof of health insurance and current tetanus vaccination as well as have basic Spanish speaking skills.
Depending on the type of internship you choose you will be required to work for a 6-month minimum commitment, a longer time commitment is preferred. You must have education, training or experience working with animals. As a part of the application process we will ask for 3-professional references.
Internships are voluntary self-funded positions. You will be responsible for all travel expenses/flights and immigration expenses as well as any border runs regarding your Visa you may have to do during your stay. To better understand what your internship includes please review each internship description.
- Carta de interés de una página
- Currículum Vitae
- Video de 3-5 minutos que explica por qué siente que es el candidato adecuado para el puesto (archivo MOV)
- Información de contacto con tres referencias profesionales
The Toucan Rescue Ranch provides housing for international interns:
- The Intern House: Here you will be staying with fellow interns at the Toucan Rescue Ranch. Housing includes a bedroom (private and/or shared), 2-bathrooms, common area and kitchen. The house is in a safe gated community where there is laundry access and WiFi. The house is located off grounds and is a 5-minute walk to/from the Ranch.
- The Sloth House: Depending on your internship position you may be staying in the Sloth House located on TRR grounds. This is a small cabin with a shared bedroom, small common area, kitchenette and 1-bathroom. There is laundry access and Wi-Fi.
- Release Site House: If you are applying for a Release Site internship you will be located at our Release Site in a remote area in Sarapiqui, Costa Rica. Housing includes a bedroom (private and/or shared), 2-bathrooms, common area and kitchen with some laundry access. Wi-Fi included. The house is located on TRR Release Site grounds.
Meals are provided for all 6-month (and longer) interns.
Regardless of your role, we are committed to providing a rich internship opportunity that utilizes your unique skills to help Toucan Rescue Ranch achieve its mission of rescuing, rehabilitating and releasing wildlife. Your health and safety are of utmost concern to us during your internship assignment. While working with animals, it’s important to understand and minimize the risks you take to ensure your own safety and that of the wildlife. We’ll work to provide our interns with appropriate training and protective gear throughout their stay.
If you would like to be a part of the TRR team, please complete our Internship Application Process by sending the following documents to email@example.com
- Title email INTERN APPLICANT
- One-page cover letter of interest
- CV or resume
- 3-5-minute video explaining why you feel you’re the right candidate for the position (MOV file)
- Contact information of three professional references
We will promptly contact you to schedule a Skype interview after reviewing your application. If you have any questions we are always available via email to answer any questions.
Available SST Internships
These internships are with the Saving Sloths Together Program with The Sloth Institute of Costa Rica!
Learn with the Saving Sloths Together Program!
The Saving Sloths Together (SST) program was founded in 2017 by The Toucan Rescue Ranch and The Sloth Institute with the purpose of combining each organization’s skills and knowledge to improve the process of sloth rescue, rehabilitation and release in Costa Rica. Together, we are able to combine the best medical care, scientific expertise, dedication and passion to provide the very best experience for every sloth needing help for a second chance at a life in the wild.
The Sloth Institute Costa Rica (TSI) was founded in 2014 for the purpose of enhancing the welfare of captive and wild sloths through research and education. We also collaborate with Toucan Rescue Ranch on the rescue, rehabilitation and release of sloths. TSI is a legal non-profit in Costa Rica and fiscally sponsored by a US 501(c)(3) tax deductible non-profit. Our headquarters are located in the Manuel Antonio rainforest maritime zone property at Tulemar Resort a short distance from Manuel Antonio National Park.